Friday, February 12, 2010

Getting The Rights To Perform A Play Do I Have To Get The Rights To Do This?

Do I have to get the rights to do this? - getting the rights to perform a play

I am responsible for implementation of a participation in the community center here, but in one piece I wanted to make a window of Broadway and people that make every scene they want to play. I have many people who want to have signed to do scenes and songs from different shows, including some in which the rights are not yet available, as Spring Awakening and Legally Blonde. But I have to get the rights to every piece. Note that this is something that they sell tickets, but it is free for all.

5 comments:

Theatre Doc said...

If a performance is public, free or not, you can not copyright-protected material without permission. The songs can be different if the school pays the costs of the BMI, or, if no income. However, the scenes, theater and musicals are different. You have rights.

Anna D said...

In general, you must have the rights to individual songs. It is easier to get rights for a few songs for the whole show - I know you can have up to three songs from Wicked a hood - but Andrew Lloyd Webber stuff is very difficult to obtain the rights for IIRC.

MFDCW said...

I do not know the answer to this question, but if you are a community center for legitimate work, probably the house of a lawyer and he should be able to answer all your questions ... Good luck!

Tink said...

Does anyone really important is to see what your community is the theater? Not for the offense, but no one would remember me.

Marielle said...

Interesting question. As the sale of tickets, but free?
The best place to be seen:
http://www.theatricalrights.com/

Post a Comment